That is the question.
At least, the most recent question.
As the newest part of our MBA school drama, we've added the possibility of deferral to our mix of possible options. (Isn't it great? By next week we'll be considering two more things that had never crossed our minds before!)
Deferral hadn't entered into my thinking at all until I met with the admissions guy at BYU earlier this week. After he told me that I had been accepted into the program, he said if he could give me one piece of advice it would be to defer for a year.
The reason I would possibly do this is to give myself more time to gain work experience before starting my MBA. Companies that recruit MBAs like to see that you have a lot of valuable work experience before your MBA, and taking another year off would really beef up my application.
The nice thing, too, is that all three of the schools can hold my spot for me for one year, so I don't have to go through the whole admissions process as well. There's a small chance that I wouldn't receive as good of scholarships next as year as I would this year, but I think the chance is small. (At least, the schools have told me that the chance is small.)
There are several advantages to deferring. First, I do like my job, and a small part of me would enjoy having another year here to accomplish some great things. Second, we would be able to save more money. Third, we wouldn't have to move—yet. Etc.
There are big disadvantages, too, the largest of which is that we would wait an entire year before starting a program.
We're very torn right now, but we're taking our time with the decision and hoping to make the best decision possible. I'm sure, in the end, we'll make a good choice. For now all of you can enjoy our little drama (at least the parts we blog about).